Friday, 18 July 2014

Operation Day

So I had my mastectomy yesterday. I was allowed breakfast before 6am so I forced down a bowl of muesli and a cup of tea. My mum came to do the school run and then my lovely husband Big G brought me over to the hospital in Reading.

If felt strange being in the passenger seat of my car (his was in the garage). We were early so went for a walk in the city sunshine. I treasured that little bit of close time together, to chat about our thoughts and dreams and plans and feelings - we don't do that nearly enough.

Next I had some radioactive solution injected in my left nipple, which would make it easier for the surgeon to work out which lymph node to remove. Then it was into my room, gown and surgical stockings on, visits from nurses and the surgeon and down I went to the operating theatre at 2pm. On the consent form, the reason for the operation was "to remove disease". Ugh.

When I awoke in recovery it was just after 4pm. I spent a surreal hour frowning and drifting in and out of sleep, breathing through an oxygen mask and hearing the nurses bustling about. I had a little weep. They upped my painkillers. A porter came and they wheeled me back up to my room.

I didn't really feel properly awake until around 7pm when I had the most delicious coronation chicken sandwich and fruit salad ever, and a most welcome cup of hot tea.

2 comments:

  1. Pleased to hear that the ordeal is over. Wishing you you a very speedy and uneventful recovery. Let that be the end of it!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you call your husband "Big G". I used to call my husband "Old G", which stood for tongue in cheek "Old Grumpy". He was actually an amazing man. As for the mastectomy, my niece had a double mastectomy nearly 2 years ago and now she is absolutely full of beans. I echo Maggies' sentiment and wish you a very speedy and uneventful recovery and let that be the end of it!.

    By the way, thanks for visiting my blog. Much love, Ann xx

    ReplyDelete