Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Rediscovering My Sitting Still Skills

I've been rubbish at sitting still for about 14 years. It's a skill I used to have, but somehow I've lost the knack.

Up until my surgery on Thursday, I was busy all day every day, bustling about with one thing or another, from the moment I got up to the moment I went to bed (two moments in each day that were far too far apart). I was always under time pressure: doing my job, doing my other job, planning, sorting the kids out, buying food, preparing food, clearing up after food, driving, laundry, cleaning, tidying up, moving things from here to there, emails, organizing, and so on and so on and so on. Even when I was fairly 'on top of things', there was always an underlying feeling of stress. I never sat still.

How did my days get so frenetic?

What happened to resting?

But since Thursday, that's all gone out the window. The left side of my chest is a war-zone; the wound stings and seeps and feels tender and sore, I'm sleepy and quiet, and all I can do is rest, recuperate and relax. I think it's safe to say I am no longer rubbish at sitting still.

No comments:

Post a Comment