Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Bad Back

I sat down, fastened my seat belt and turned the key in the ignition. The engine reluctantly spluttered into life and soon I was on my way. It felt weird to be driving again. The left side of my chest was a bit uncomfortable at times, but the freedom to get around independently again more than compensated.

I drove to the doctors' surgery and filled in a form requesting a letter signing me off work until the week after my first chemo, although I am going into work in a couple of weeks, to talk about what I'll be working on when I go back.

While I was at the doctors, I made an appointment to talk about getting a referral to a physiotherapist. Every morning when I wake up, my back is sore and it's hard to stay in bed and even harder to get up. It may be because I'm stooping - subconsciously protecting my wound by rounding my shoulders - or it may be because I'm lying down more than I used to. Whatever the reason, I need to get some exercises or stretches to do. If I'm to go into battle with cancer, hair loss, sickness, fatigue, mouth ulcers and goodness knows what else ... I don't want to be struggling with back ache as well.

5 comments:

  1. You are incredibly brave and look such a stunner. I do hope you don't lose your hair. Your back pain could be that you are hunching shoulders to compensate for the wound. A physio may help. Also the following might help....I've had a very painful neck for the last 12 weeks and read that muscles need potassium to heal, so I started to eat a lot of bananas as they contain potassium. Overnight the neck stopped being excruciating. Now whether it was healing anyway ,or it was the bananas, I don't know. The bad news is I look like King Kong now. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh bananas - love it! Thanks for the top tip Addy, and thanks for visiting :-)

      Delete
  2. I hope your back is on the mend soon. I know you are embarking on a world of unknowns, chemotherapy being one of them. I had chemo and radiation at the same time, and it was tough, but I got through it. You are not alone. You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth for the encouragement - I know there are plenty of others who are going through / have gone through the same as me ... and much much worse ... and blogging is a wonderful way of connecting.

      Delete
    2. You are obviously facing all of this with a positive approach and I wish you all the very best. I have never experienced anything like you are going through but feel that blogging may be very theraputic. A x

      Delete