Sunday, 3 August 2014

Puppy Power

The cancer nurse where I had my operation called me yesterday to tell me that the little bit of invasive cancer found in my troublesome breast has tested HER2 positive and oestrogen receptor positive as well. She then started talking about Chemotherapy, Herceptin and Tamoxifen ... and told me I have an appointment to see an oncologist on Monday.

Clearly this is not particularly great news. My knowledge is pathetically thin on the subject, but my understanding is that HER2 positive cancers are more aggressive and fast-growing and more likely to recur. So, as any further treatment I have will be aimed at reducing the likelihood of recurrence, I expect the conversation on Monday will be largely based around statistics. I must remember to take a notepad and pen.

On a more cheerful note, we got a playful new puppy last Sunday. He's an 11-week-old American Cocker Spaniel called Austin. We thought that this was as good a time as any ... the kids are on school holidays and I am at home recuperating anyway ... so between us we're puppy-watching the warm dry days away. Austin is so little, so soft, so affectionate, so silly and so good. I take him outside and walk around the garden so he can sniff and explore, and pee and poo - I tell him what a clever boy he is and give him a treat. He follows me around the kitchen and lies down on my feet.

4 comments:

  1. Go with whatever treatment that is suggested. It is always best to take as many precautions as possible.
    As regards what we eat..... well we have to be sensible but not deprive ourselves of every pleasure.
    I'm sure Austin will keep you on your toes and cause a diversion in your life.
    Walking is definitely good for you and he'll needs lots of walkies!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear you have the dreaded C to deal with. Fingers crossed you get over it quickly and are soon bouncing back to good health again. Having a dog will help. They are so good at helping you relax (stroking them) and getting fresh air (walkies).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, I'm just catching up on your posts. Don't know what to say, but wish you a speedy recovery and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I found you at Addy's blog and thought I'd pay a visit. All I can say is I wish you well and hope your treatment soon sees you fit and well. I'm sure the puppy will help, a great tonic!

    ReplyDelete