Thursday, 27 November 2014

Ancient History Day

I love a good news story about an exciting historical artifact being found. So it made me very happy to read about the discovery of an original copy of Shakespeare's First Folio, the complete collection of his plays originally printed in 1623, that had been hidden away for 200 years in the archives of a library in northern France. Read the story here.

In the spirit of preserving ancient historical artifacts, today I went into the garage and dug out all my old forgotten drawings from the early 1980's to the early 1990's. A lot of the rubbish went into the recycle bin and I stuck the ones I liked into a scrap book. Some of the drawings are dirty or damp-damaged, having been stuffed into boxes for decades, but miraculously many have survived all of our house moves and multiple decluttering sessions.

There are several artists on my Dad's side of the family: My Grandma, my Dad, my cousin and some second cousins. When I was younger I used to love drawing and I did a lot of it ... but somehow life and work and other adventures took over as I grew up, and I guess I just got out of the habit. My pencils and sketch pads got buried in the back of a cupboard and my drawings were banished to storage. I'm thinking about starting art classes once my treatment is over - I don't know if I'll be any good any more, but it's worth a try, eh?

Here are a few of my favourite drawings from my teens and early twenties.










4 comments:

  1. Your drawings show real talent and although you might be a little rusty it will come back quickly when you start again. Once you start you will wonder why you didn't start earlier.

    For me drawing is a form of meditation, cleansing the body and good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fascinating news story about those Shakespeare discoveries. I missed that. How wonderful that you were motivated to dig through some of your own artistic work. I don't think I've drawn a sketch since art class in college. I was pretty horrible, but it was fun and I believe any artistic endeavor can be so healing and so worth the effort put into it. Your sketches are wonderful. I hope you do start taking classes again. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are very good. You should go back to art class and resurrect your obvious talent. And there's Big Ben - but not full of minty wondrousness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, you have real artistic talent! If I could draw like that, I would be filling sketch books. You should definitely get back in the habit.

    ReplyDelete