Wednesday, 26 November 2014

From FEC to Taxotere

Having completed the last of my 3 doses of FEC chemotherapy (a cocktail of fluorouracil, epirubicin & cyclophosphamide), I had the first of my 3 doses of Taxotere (also known as Docotaxol) at the beginning of November. I felt surprisingly well afterwards between Tuesday and Thursday, probably while the anti-sickness steroid drugs were still flushing around my system, but by Friday I went downhill and felt quite poorly over the weekend and into the following week.

I felt very tired but, unlike with the feckin' FEC, happily I didn't have much nausea or light-headedness. And no fainting this time, hoorah! Instead I had some flu-like aches and pains, a small number of nose bleeds and dry flaky skin, which I know are common side effects, and - without wishing to go into too much detail - an upset tummy. What made this particular episode much worse than it might have been was having a heavy cold at the same time. Fortunately I haven't had many colds during my chemo, but this one wiped me out so I had a headache and sore throat to contend with on top of the usual post-chemo malarky. I had the second dose yesterday, and I'm hoping it won't be too bad as I don't have a cold this time (touch wood).

ANYWAY, that all passed and I felt very well then for about 10 days. This was a good opportunity for me to crack on with my Christmas shopping. Those who know me well know that I'm not usually this organised and generally put off my shopping until Christmas is perilously close. But as this year my 'feeling good days' are going to be limited, I wanted to get it out of the way when I had the chance. Most of my shopping was done online (in my pyjamas). I then spent a long day out shopping (not in my pyjamas), and then did a bit more bit on Saturday whilst waiting for my son to come out of the cinema. I reckon anything else I need can be bought locally, and most of it is now hidden away or on its way. After the side effects of my chemo treatment yesterday have passed, I'll do the wrapping and posting and food ordering before the LAST chemo dose on December 16th. My biggest challenge is going to be writing cards - I usually buy cards and don't write them, or I write them but don't send them - but this year I do have time, and I want to include my health & family news and thank people for their various gifts of flowers, cards, kind texts, Facebook messages of love and encouragement, food, offers to drive and help and so on and so on ... sending a Christmas card to say thank you for all that is the least I can do.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are very brave. I would fall at the first hurdle let alone any more. You probably got a cold because chemo wipes out your immunity to such things. Hope you feel better soon and can enjoy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete